Natalie

Books, Skies, Colours, STARS



And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day





layout : drivefaraway
icon : violetbirdy
Thursday, September 16, 2010 @ 2:21 PM | comment (0)

The prelims are finally over and now, it's break for a day before rushing to catch up and mend whatever holes we have in our understanding of subjects.

Anyway, I went to the library after physics today. Gosh how I love the later part of a morning! I guess it's because by 9am the sun starts shining through thin wisps of clouds and it's pleasantly cool. Then you start to realise how beautiful everything around you is, as the sun filters through the leaves so that you see a tree that seems to be bursting with energy; it's leaves a perky lime green. And the puddles start to twinkle, as if they contained millions of tiny diamonds and to put it in the words of Walter from A Raisin in the Sun "don't nothing matter worth a damn but just being there".

So I walked past the rows of shops that line the red brick street which always makes me feel like a part of The Wizard of Oz, but the shops weren't fully open. Which was strange because every time I go to that area, the shops are always open and full of the hustle and bustle and colour that human beings create; colouring the area with their voices: loud and red to attract customers like a scene right out of one of those 1970s-esque show like 福满人间 or something like that. And all around, a persistent yet gentle, incomprehensible babble of languages: comfortable and bewildering at the same time.

I continued walking down, alternating between the morning sun and the cool relief of the sheltered walkway. I suppose it is in moments like these that make me happiest; but they also make me wonder if I'm going to turn out a loner. I enjoy being by myself- having time to myself, yet humans are social animals, meaning that interaction is inevitable because if we fail to interact with the world around us we'll all turn into Boo Radleys: sad and afraid, lacking vitality, a mere shadow of what life is suppose to mean.
W.H. Auden was said to shun company, but could embrace company if he chose to- which I've always thought was pretty cool but who gave him the choice? Then I realised that it was basically his life that he himself controlled and he therefore gave himself choices. I guess it also helped that he was and still is, a highly regarded poet which would enable him to do whatever he wanted to do because popular opinion is that writers are eccentric anyway. Plus, he was gay so he probably didn't care what others thought of him considering how his lovers weren't exactly a secret and he could lose himself in words if he chose to.

And so I picked my way to the library; returned my books and joined a crowd (gosh there was a crowd) in waiting for the library doors to be opened. I didn't know that the staff stand at the door to greet those in the crowd when they come in; but as you can probably tell, they do and I think that was nice of them. It also means that there's probably a crowd outside the door every morning which is also a nice thought but probably puts the pressure on the staff (heheh). And I eventually spent a morning breathing in a building of books (: That was a lovely morning.



Older Posts & Newer Posts