Natalie

Books, Skies, Colours, STARS



And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day





layout : drivefaraway
icon : violetbirdy
Fragments of a day
Saturday, August 14, 2010 @ 12:02 AM | comment (0)

Fragment 1: I passed my E-maths test.

(And when I say passed, I mean that I didn't fail this test; and not just that I passed the test on to other people so that they could hand it in for me)
I think it's really sad how it all comes down to the point when I aim to pass and an A would just be an added bonus.
Plus, I think it's even worse when you realise that you could have done better if not for all the freaking careless mistakes. That, is an event which calls for a major frowny face:
D<


Lesson learnt: Sine doesn't figure anywhere in the Cosine rule.


Fragment 2: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

I'm in love. Again.
I know, I know, it's like I'm falling in love too many times this year.

But, after careful consideration, I've figured that this time is FOR REAL.

Confessions of a Shopaholic was merely a passing infatuation, whereas The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery is a love that grows with each passing page.

You know you're in love when:
(a) You can't stop smiling as in the case of my other 2 favourite books or
(b) when you want to laugh and cry at the same time because it's so bitingly funny yet the truth is staring you right in the face. (All the invisible arrows point to The Elegance of the Hedgehog)
It's pretty much one of those books where the thoughts you've thought before have suddenly been placed right in front of you and you're left gasping not only at the truth of the words, but the lucidity and ease at which those thoughts seem to have been penned as well.
Gosh that was such a long sentence.

Lesson learnt:
"What to do
Faced with never
But look
For always
In a few stolen strains?"


Fragment 3: Book sniffers anonymous

Something deep within my mind is telling me that sniffing books seems to be a rather perverted thing to do. But I can't help it. Plus, to be fair, I only sniff new books.

Today,was my english o level orals so as we sat in the hall waiting for 2.30pm to come, we started exchanging books. I'd brought The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Ave had brought The Last Lecture and Elsa had brought The Book of Tea and another book which had a rather poetic name; but I forget what it's called. And then someone started the whole book sniffing thing, and before we knew it, 5 of us were passing the books among ourselves and sniffing them.

Elsa's Book of Tea by Okakaru Kakuzo, has got to be the most beautiful book I have ever seen.
It has a cover with just the title and the author's name on a mossy green surrounded by geometrical patterns.
The pages are crisp and the colour of tea; a funny yellow green that veers towards the yellow side. They have the texture of art block, but far more delicate and thin.
In the book are words and a reproduction of calligraphy at the start of its chapter. At least, the pictures seemed to be reproductions. They were charcoal gray like they had been printed on. Which in this case is most probably true. But all the same it's beautiful.
Plus it has this heady, bitter book scent that immediately perks you up but also has some sort of soothing effect on frazzled nerves. (a.k.a. nerves that are over active as a result of all the waiting going on)
It was like nicotine or something, y'know the phrase you always see on those anti-smoking campaign posters? "It takes Just 10 seconds and you're hooked" or something like that. I suppose the same could be said of that book.

I wanted to inhale breaths of that fragrance forever.

Lesson learnt: I'm a sucker for books that smell good.


Fragment 4: "What makes you laugh?"

I pinky swear that's what they asked me for my conversation.
*

What makes me laugh? Hmm that's an interesting question. Well, to me, books make me laugh, but only certain kinds. Those that have a lot of irony, like The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (here they nod and look impressed) I found it very funny on account of all the contrast and the language (a panicked thought: ummmmm darn. What was the book about again? darn. better switch to something else. I sound like a literary snob)
I also found confessions of a shopaholic interesting even though I felt like a bimbo reading it (other teacher laughs; spark of recognition in teacher's eyes at the name of the book) I thought it was funny because of the irony and the her state of mind when she's panicking and trying to clear her debt (drat, what else?)
I also enjoy reading children's books because they offer a new perspective and remind us of a better time as compared to the present (heheh I sound so nolstalgic). For example, my brother liked to read CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS (BRAINWAVE! how i love captain underpants, yeah i could definitely talk about this)(they look mildly amused; must try to engage them. They probably don't know much about cap'n) It was written by a 7 year old (teacher looks impressed, good sign?) and it's about 2 boys who hypnotise their principal so that whenever they snap their fingers, he throws off his clothes till he's in his underpants and goes about trying to save the world (giggle giggle, oh yeah, I could definitely talk about this)

{Here they interrupt}

"shall we move on to the next topic?"
*

Lesson learnt: talk about Captain Underpants at the start of the conversation.



Older Posts & Newer Posts