![]() Natalie Books, Skies, Colours, STARS And Time will have his fancy To-morrow or to-day icon : violetbirdy |
Friday, July 30, 2010 @ 6:44 PM |
comment (0) Squared Reviews (http://squaredreviews.com/) is basically a website that reviews reviews and they are so socking funny except effs are scattered pretty much everywhere but hey, that's them right? Anyway, their review of a review of Eclipse is funny in a cynical way; so I checked out the site where they got the review from (How I love Google!). I didn't see the review he read but I did see another 'bout the same book. It was pretty uninspiring uh huh and that's about it. But I checked out their review of Sunshine, it seemed ok but Robin Mckinley kept being compared to stephanie mayer which is a gross comparison since Robin Mckinley is so much better. Plus it's not as if stephanie mayer owns the whole vampire franchise, such that other books 'bout vampires have to be compared to hers. Sheesh. Oh yeah, with all the hype surrounding YOG (what hype?) i decided to check Steve Appleton's music out after watching the Everyone video in school (because: 1. he sounded pretty good but his voice was drowned out a bit, 2. he's kinda hot hahaha, 3. he's British so he's got that cute accent 4. and his name reminds me a lot of Apple: Steve Jobs + Apple + ton - Jobs) He's actually pretty talented like a cross between Jamie Cullum and Jason Mraz and John Mayer with the Jazzy and Island holiday vibe and breathy vocals (: The above video is of his song Dirty Funk and that's all I've gotta say 'bout him. On to other things: 1. Night study tires me out even though it's only 9pm when we end. And it wasn't what I expected either. It has always conjured up images of a library at night. It is dark; students sit huddled round a soft, orange glow and study. It's quiet. And the parents go around offering platefuls of pasta drenched in sauce, loads of mushrooms and meatballs. So I was pretty surprised when it wasn't like that. I think my expectations were too high haha. 2. Some guy from the UWC came to our school to talk 'bout the scholarship they were offering today, it sounded pretty fun, plus their campuses were so gorgeous: castles, trees laced with ice, the adriatic sea... with the exception of the campus in Singapore with its straight dull school building, it was kinda sad to see lah. But the thing is, the students all take the IB programme which means they take 6 subjects plus social work. I think the fact that the social work is necessary is kinda cool but to balance 6 subjects and everything else means that you've gotta be real smart and an all-rounder. That, is a real difficult balance to achieve. I mean I'm taking higher chinese so that assuming I pass, and make it to JC so that I can focus on learning my other subjects well. So taking 2 languages is gonna make it extra hard for those people who decide to take on the scholarship. 3. Today I went to the library meaning to continue reading I Am the Cheese by Robert Cromier. His writing style is exactly the way I've always wanted to write then again, I really didn't like his book The Chocolate War. Anyway, just as I picked it up, I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic and I took it and read it instead. I surprised myself. It surprised me. I mean I've never liked chick lit 'cause all they talk about is how gorgeous so and so is and sex which bores me because who cares how they look if they're superficial characters who don't mean anything. So feeling like a huge bimbo, I read it. Actually it wasn't bad, it was so darn funny 'cause of all the irony and I kept smiling. Which is a good sign? I don't know I beamed my whole way through The Importance of Being Earnest and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (GOSH the books have such long names) and they're my favourite books (: So i'm gonna put down I am the Cheese and read confessions of a shopaholic. Hey, everyone needs to be amused every now and then right? ((: |