Natalie

Books, Skies, Colours, STARS



And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day





layout : drivefaraway
icon : violetbirdy
Sourdough bread
Saturday, August 22, 2020 @ 5:52 PM | comment (0)

 So, I revived my sourdough starter from the fridge after 3 months, the other day. And to my surprise it sprang back into action almost immediately. Like it doubled in 4 hours after a first feeding with whole wheat flour, and then 2 hours after I fed it with a mix of whole wheat and bread flour. I was amazed at its resilience.

It made a wonderful loaf of sandwich bread, but the crust wasn't great and the taste wasn't that tangy.

I tried another loaf without commercial yeast and it grew and grew. But it didn't have the beautiful large holes.

Finally, my dad bought buckwheat flour (the good stuff) and used the Rustic Sourdough recipe by King Arthur Flour and it WAS AMAZING!!!!!


The crust was crusty and thick, the bread was chewy with the nutty flavour of buckwheat, tangy as sourdough bread ought to be and when we added a schmear of cream cheese, it was incredible. I think we finished half a loaf between the 3 of us hahaahah it was amazing.




Older Posts & Newer Posts