Natalie

Books, Skies, Colours, STARS



And Time will have his fancy
To-morrow or to-day





layout : drivefaraway
icon : violetbirdy
new year new you
Wednesday, January 4, 2017 @ 1:52 AM | comment (0)

Happy 2017!!

Spent the wee hours of 2016 embroidering a tote and watching various Netflix movies haha. Also we had a wine and cheese (brie) platter so we were just the slightest bit fancy—although I did skip the wine cuz.

The sister has lately gotten a membership to Naiise cuz she buys soo many things from the shop. Anyway, because she spent so much, she now has a membership card and it came in the mail with a bag and she gave the bag to me:


So I stitched up the nice plain tote bag. Went a bit crazy with the pencil markings at first and panicked because graphite doesn't come out from cotton, but after intensive googling, eventually removed the graphite stains with micellar water and baby wipes (!) who knew make-up remover was so effective? The circular mark's from the embroidery hoop. I'm planning to add more things but no idea what. In the meantime I was too lazy to iron it. I will get to it though... eventually...


I think I'm extremely proud of the leaves they remind me of strawberry leaves, and were a really good way to practice backstitching. The big leaves next to the flower were my first attempt at embroidery shading but I clearly didn't read the instructions properly. Apparently it's the lightest shade embroidered first on the outside then the rest to be filled up with progressively darker shades. Ah well. Fun times.


My grandma also made Penang (assam) laksa on Monday and we got to bring the leftovers home (hurrah!). My dad decided to level it up with yong tau foo for lunch today #laksagamestrong so it was pretty darn good.

Supposed to be doing my thesis but I find so many different ways of occupying my time!! For example, making a few cardboard bobbins to organise my thread today. Proudly showed my mum and she was like "*gasp* hey Nat, you're turning into one of those ladies who make tapestries!" Not sure if too be pleased or not HAHA but I mean look at the colours!! The shinier threads are DMC cotton and the rest are from Daiso (HAHA super worth it 6 colours for $2 vs. one DMC skein for $0.85). But o.k., I guess if we're going for quality. DMC is obviously superior: it's shiny and smooth whereas the daiso ones are rough and a bit meh.


Anyhoo, it's already the 4th day of the new year and I realise that I haven't made any resolutions yet. Last year I resolved to knit a hat, learn embroidery, keep a gratitude journal and to pray everyday. Oh yes and exercise HAHA. Done the knitting and embroidery, and am working on the prayer which has been vastly helped by making new friends with very prayerful people who are the kind of people I want to be. 

Maybe this year I'll actually get around to the exercising bit (HA). Like 10,000 steps a day or something. Need to practise walking for the Camino anyway.

I think, maybe this year, my resolution is to continue to try being braver, kinder and more generous everyday, and to finally read (and understand) that Italian book of poetry that I picked up at a secondhand book sale.





Older Posts & Newer Posts