![]() Natalie Books, Skies, Colours, STARS And Time will have his fancy To-morrow or to-day icon : violetbirdy |
Rant
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 @ 12:39 AM |
comment (0) I hate relativism. That is sloppy thinking, it's the lazy way out. It's saying: I can't win this argument logically so I return to the circular argument of "oh our perspectives are different. What I think is different from what you think. Ergo you must be wrong and I must be right because my own subjective thinking is the only truth I know. And the only truth I know must be the right one for me." I hate the whole cult of relativism, the cult culture of people who say that truth cannot be found because truth must be universal, and because there are no universal truths that I acknowledge, there must be no truth. It's such an egotistical way of looking at the world! How narrow and close-minded such a culture is, and how awfully populist the concept. It's bound to be popular, who doesn't like to think that only he/she is right? No wonder we see people feeling hurt and lost because they can't find truth. Here is a world telling them to go ahead and do whatever you want because hey, it's your life. Never mind that every action of yours has a consequence even if you don't know it immediately. You should totally gratify yourself immediately, ignore the consequences. Ignore your own conscience. Ignore the fact that if you know what lies are, then you know that truth exists because what are lies but the gap between truth and that which is not true? There are dichotomies in this world. Perhaps not very sharply defined boundaries, but I believe that there is truth to be had from this world that so easily gives up. The Greeks searched for wisdom, truth and beauty, why and when did we ever stop? (Look! I gave this post an alternative French title: "Une diatribe sur le relativisme parce que c'est des conneries". So mad with people who pull this on me to stop an argument. It's the laziest thing ever. And believe me, I know lazy. But if you want to make a point at least put some thought and effort into it.) |