![]() Natalie Books, Skies, Colours, STARS And Time will have his fancy To-morrow or to-day icon : violetbirdy |
realisationnss
Monday, July 28, 2014 @ 5:05 PM |
comment (0) So I've been spending the past few nights thinking about what honesty means and where it all comes from, and truth. Help, too hung up over what truth is. Can't sleep fast enough. The only problem with greater self-awareness and self-absorption is that it more or less makes it damn difficult to sleep, and I'd take my sleep back any day thank you very much. Anyway, arts retreat was a whole lot of eye-opening realisations. It was goood, but every time I come here to type about my experience, something in me just says nahhh. So right, I'd just leave it at that. Went to watch Coriolanus again with Deb and Court, and okay Tom Hiddleston is a marvellous actor, but I left the theatre feeling more pissed off with the common people. Like why are they all so hypocritical?? And that maybe the tragedy of Coriolanus was that even if his motives were that of revenge and a wounded ego, he was the only one who was honest about how he felt, and stuck to his guns while everyone else was plotting and machinating for their own gain, and being bloody fickle and two-faced about it. But then he had to go and die. Sigh. As Hiddleston said, "there is a pure-hearted-ness to him", and I agree. At least he was honest in the fact that he believed that society should be ruled by only one class (the nobles) because the plebians were too stupid, and he never really tried to hide his disdain of them, from them. As I lay in bed fuming over all the hypocrisy in the world, I realised that there was a period in life when I was racked by all kinds of guilt over the things I'd done and things I'd failed to do (okay I took that from the Confiteor/ 'I Confess' we say in mass, such a stunning prayer) and was confused and reaally reaaaally sad. That was the day when I went to the Blessed Sacrament and stopped trying to be anything. And such a revelation! I think that was the day when I was first truly honest with myself. 19 years and I was finally honest with myself and with God and I realised that shit, I hated myself, the person I'd become, and that I couldn't love myself, and I spent ages being (again) hung up over this idea that I wasn't becoming the person I was supposed to be become. Like ugh, because I just wasn't good enough, I couldn't love hard enough or care enough or be smart enough. But God was all like "lol Nat, you don't have to be anything, you're enough." But being, me, I was all "awww", then I forgot and got broody and self-conscious, until confession and then Father Simon was like, "Henri Nouwen says that in this modern age, sometimes the greatest sin is the sin of self-rejection." Then he said, "you are lovable" and shook my hand. HAHA and I was both taken aback and touched by the simplicity of it all, and because it was so simple and unembellished, I knew it was truth. But then things didn't really get better from there. I was more secure of God's love that's for sure. I remember how some time ago, St Mary's had this talk on the 5 stages towards Discipleship- trust, curiosity, openness, seeking and discipleship, and that if we wanted to follow Jesus, we'd usually go through these 5 stages. Proud me was full of it, and thought I'd already become a disciple cause I was working in the cat office and being in the midst of all the preparation for the talk, and I was excited. But I think I was only at curiosity because really, I joined the catechists on a whim, I told God, kay imma in your hands now, take care of me, thanks. But my goodness, what a ride I've been taken on! Tis been a good ride though, but kinda scary. Anyway (don't mind my digressions) I remember how they had adoration at night after every talk which was pretty cool, and okay I wasn't into it, I kept thinking about myself, and it made me uncomfortable because I kept feeling like I was talking at God and not to him, but there was a passage we reflected on and the thing that jumped out at me was this line "remain in me, as I remain in you." I didn't understand what it meant, but there was this huge sense of infinity in that line. Like our sec 1 geog textbook cover had a picture of a girl holding the geog textbook in her hand and the picture of the geog textbook cover was another smaller picture of the same girl holding the same geog textbook in her hand. And I used to stare at it to see how far the picture could go and get smaller and I'd get a bit giddy with the possibility of so much infinity in that one picture.
LOOK AT IT
But anyway, I had this idea of me being in Jesus's heart, but Jesus was also in my heart, but that Jesus in my heart also had me in his heart and on and on and on. And it's quite amazing! It seems like I keep returning to this message again and again for the past year, but it was only after retreat that I realised that it meant what it meant, God wants me to stick to him/ remain in him even as he sticks by me/ remains in me. lolllll Silly how long it took for me to realise that.
And now we return to the point on hypocrisy. Lying in bed, I concluded that the reason why I couldn't love myself was because I was a hypocrite really. I'd been hiding myself away from the world for such a long time. It started out when I was just a kid reading too many books and thinking how stupid teenagers were, and I resolved never to let myself become a stupid teenager. I wouldn't rebel for rebellion's sake because being a rebellious teenager was exactly what people expected teenagers to do. Plus, there wasn't much point in rebelling because I knew my parents had my best interests at heart. Like why deliberately go against somebody if they know what they're talking about. Better to think things through and see if it suits the occasion rather than throwing advice away. They've had more experience. The problem with that is that it's hard to make a decision cause there are more things than ever to consider.
And gossiping was one of the stupid things I told myself I'd never do because I felt like people judged too quickly too fast, without trying to understand/ looking at the perspective of the other person. And yah teenagers ever had my scorn. But anyway I've succumbed.
Lately ol' cynical me has had a hard time trying to not judge anybody because #hormones make it hard to keep a level head about anything. The whole intention of that young Nat was so I wouldn't treat people unfairly, but when I grew up and I couldn't see myself clearly anymore, the whole thing just collapsed and I kept second-guessing people's intentions, cause I had insecurities to hide and I figured so did the whole world. And it's a lot easier to take people for who they are on the surface no matter how much I abhor being shallow.
|